Friday, May 28, 2010

The Luxe

Another book to recommend
I have been SUPER lucky lately.  Usually I have to wade through some crumby books to find the good ones, but I am on a run of good ones.  The latest....The Luxe by Anna Godbersen.  This is the first in a series of books about the incredibly rich kids living in New York in the 1890's.  The book starts with the death of Elizabeth Holland, the most eligible young lady in New York.  Her funeral is held on the day that WAS to have been her wedding day.  At the funeral are the main characters--her little sister, her best friend (who was in love with her fiance), her fiance (the richest man in New York), her boyfriend and true love (also one of her servants), and her maid (who hates her and loves her boyfriend), the reader gets to start over at the beginning and find out what led up to Elizabeth's death.  It is all full of mixed up relationships and the rules of the rich.  Reading this book made me realize how lucky I am to have been able to chose who I would marry.  Even on bad days, at least I can remember that I CHOSE to be married to this person.  I cannot imagine having my husband chosen because of how much money he has.  ANYWAY, I have already gone to the library to get the 2nd book in the series (even though I am slightly embarrassed that it was in the Young Adult section).  It is a little like a soap opera book---except without the sex.  Just a warning though---with all of the twisted up love, and death (or assumed death), and balls with beautiful gowns and vicious girls---don't start reading until you plan to follow through ♥

No comments: