Monday, September 6, 2010

ConKerr Cancer pillowcases

If you know me very well you are WELL aware that I am a sucker for a good cause. Well as I was cruising through some blogs recently, I found a good cause I could not pass up.  On one of my favorite blogs, MADE, my pretend BFF Dana was making beautiful pillowcases for terminally ill cancer patients---children actually.  Who can resist helping sick kiddos---not me!!!  So I decided then and there that I would be making some pillowcases NO MATTER WHAT!!!  Well it took a couple days to work up my crafting MoJo, but this morning I FINALLY got back into the craft room for some sewing. 
I only managed to make 2 so far, but they were SIMPLE to make and I will for sure make a couple more at least....even if they have to be made in the middle of the night.  I used THIS tutorial from Dana at MADE.  It was quick and easy and turned out cute.  She also gives all of the regulations and specifics for the pilowcases over on her site. 
SOOOOO, I dug through my fabrics and remembered that last month I bought a fitted sheet at Value Village that had no purpose as of yet, so I used it (I LOVE the bright colors) and whipped up some contrasting pillowcases.  Now I just need to dig through my stash to find some more un-needed fabrics to create with. 
The cause is called ConKerr Cancer and they have a directory of local organizations to send your pillowcases to.  For example, mine will be headed off to Sacred Heart Children's Hospital in Spokane. 

September is Pediatric Cancer Awareness Month, and ConKerr Cancer is trying to collect as many pillowcases as possible in a Pillowcase drive Called Miles of Pillowcase Smiles---September 13-19.  I think everyone with a little extra fabric sitting around and about an hour could whip up 1 (or 20) and help a sick kid smile.  If you live by me and wanna help, I would be glad to add your cases to my shipment.  I plan to mail them off on the 13th (next Monday), so just let me know. 
Cancer makes me sad just thinking about it, but imagining making a sick kid a little more comfortable makes me smile.  I swear I smiled the whole time I sewed these pillowcases---Couldn't you use a good smile today????

1 comment:

marciekoch said...

If I get brave enough to go to the craft room again, I'll see what I can whip up. :) I think something like this would be pretty cool to add to the craft retreat! We could have kits and encourage all the sewers to make one or two during the weekend. What do you think?