Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Reality Check Aisle 5

I went to a Bret Michaels concert tonight.  I know...I know....totally doesn't seem like me right???   I was being a supportive wife.  AGAIN....I know...totally doesn't sound like me either.  I guess today was a day of  miracles.  It was ok.  I swayed, I clapped, I sang along in appropriate places.  I enjoyed it as much as a NON rocker can.  ANYWAY...
I had a bit of a MOMENT today.  I was getting ready to go to the fair and I wondered....HMMM??  I wonder what I should wear.  Pretty typical, except I actually had a moment of remembering.  THE FAIR!!!
Growing up, the fair was IT!!!  It was the last big excitement of the summer before school started.  It was hot, and long, and AWESOME!!!  IT was also the first time we got to try out some of our NEW school clothes.  NOT all of them of course...because then there would be no mysteries on the first day of school OH MY!!!  But just enough to think that we were looking pretty hot.  Which MATTERED of course because we had not seen the boys all summer and wanted to REMIND them how cute we were I guess.  Even more important than what to wear AT the fair was what to wear AT NIGHT at the fair.  There were rodeos and concerts and wandering aimlessly through the carnival....you know all the stuff you have to pull out the big guns for!!!!  WHICH BRINGS ME BACK TO MY FIRST POINT.....
There I was standing in front of my mirror thinking....What does a 30 something mother of 2 wear to a rock concert??????  And it hit me.....WHATEVER YOU WANT because nobody cares.  It was kind of like a slap in the face reality check.  I could have worn my pajamas and nobody would notice because it is not about ME anymore.  HMMMM???  What does this little realization mean for me????  Well it means I need to watch myself because that is why mommas start wearing MOM jeans and white high top sneakers.  OR strapless sun dresses WITH 90 percent of their bra showing (that would be the old lady in front of me at the concert by the way).  
SOOO needless to say....Bret and me didn't hook up.  I jammed out in my capris and sensible shoes, and all was well in my 31 year old mother of 2 life. 

2 comments:

Countrylivn' said...

I love it Jess, thanks for sharing.

Brooke and Kris G said...

This made my day! Thanks Jess!