Wednesday, November 10, 2010

yum yum….ready for Thanksgiving recipe

 

Did anyone think I had fallen off the planet???  Just my computer did.  It has been in the shop for TWO WEEKS----yikes. Anyway…I am back to life and back in this century (how did we survive without computers??). 

Last week I decided to try some of my mom’s old recipes---you know those favorite things we ate growing up???  Well I had lots of them and sadly I did not know how to make ANY of them.  So I got out of my Taco and Spaghetti rut and tried some new things.  Some were successes and some were edible, but either way it was NOT another night of pizza:) 

stuffingAny guesses on what I made first????  Yummy delicious Stove Top Casserole.  Am I the only one who believes stuffing is the BEST food around???  I could even do without the turkey if I could have the stuffing!!!  Anyway….I found a few recipes out there, but none that sounded JUST RIGHT!!!  You know…how momma made it:)  So I mixed and matched and made up my own.  Here it is….

Stove Top Casserole

You will need:

  • Chicken (3 or 4 large breasts)
  • a couple stalks of celery and a couple carrots
  • cream of chicken soup—1 regular can
  • 1/2 can (from soup) of milk

stuffing1

Pre-heat your oven to 350.

FIRST, start off by boiling your chicken.  You could use a full chicken or leftover chicken or turkey, but I used chicken breast because that is what I have around.  You want enough to fill the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish.  I used the 3 HUGE breasts and it was the perfect amount.  Put your chicken in a large pot to boil with salt and pepper to taste.  Then while your chicken is boiling, cut up some carrots and celery. (I used 3 or four of each, but again---to your liking).  I cut mine into pretty small pieces because I did not want HUGE chunks in my finished casserole. I cannot eat chunks in my jello either---no bueno!!!  ANYWAY….Throw your carrots and celery into the pot to boil with your chicken. 

While boiling your chicken, prepare your stuffing as directed on the box. 

After your chicken is well boiled, shred it.  I use 2 forks and pull in different directions.  Your chicken should just fall into pieces. You could also just cut your chicken into small cubes, but I am a fan of shredded chicken:)  Fill the bottom of your baking dish with the chicken.  Then strain your broth and keep out your vegetables.  Throw the carrots and celery on top of the chicken.  You really could use any vegetable you like here, I think broccoli would be good, or peas.  I liked the carrots and celery because it added some texture and NOT a lot of taste.  Plus, it is nice to know there are a few veggies hiding in ANY meal right???

Next, mix your milk and soup together in a bowl.  When it is well mixed, dump it evenly over the chicken and veggies.  When your stuffing is done, dump it right on top of everything else. 

Bake for about 30 minutes (you want to soup to be bubbling).  Voila.  yummy stuffing goodness!!!! 

stuffing casserole

This is a great recipe for after Thanksgiving because you already have the turkey cooked and probably have leftover stuffing.  Just throw it together and have a new meal----because you can only eat cold turkey sandwiches for SO many days right:)

turkey  By the way… these pictures were all graciously donated by the internet….my food was not so pretty, nor did it stick around long enough for photos!!!

No comments: