Monday, October 25, 2010

Problem SOLVED!!!

 october 003 - Copy
Soooo, when last we spoke I HAD no problem….that I knew of.  I had a cute bunny, cute Minnie ears, and a big smile.  THEN my little Minnie Mouse found her headband and tried it on.  FAILURE!!!!  The bow was too heavy in front and the ears were too big for her.  It just flopped right off.  GRRRR!!!!  BUT THEN I (brilliant gal that I am) FIXED IT!!!!!!  october 024Here is what I did: 
Sorry for the ghetto pictures---it was raining at our house and DARK.  Who knew Winter was coming this morning?? 
ANYWAY…You will need craft foam, black felt, glue gun, velcro, 3 hair clips, and enough fabric or ribbon to make a bow.
HERE is the tutorial that I used to make my first headband (good tutorial, bad result for my kid). 
I used the same ideas, but changed the finished project. 
FIRST… I cut 2 foam circles (not doubled like the first time).  I used a small glass to trace the circle shape. THEN I cut a dumb-bell shape out of felt---the circle needs to be slightly larger than the foam circle. 
october 004
Use your handy dandy glue gun to hook the foam to the felt on one end.  THEN fold it over and hook it to the other side of the foam circle.  
october 005
Kinda looks like a Halloween Oreo huh.  I WISH!!!  Next, use the glue gun again and put glue along the edge of the orange foam. 
october 007
Then, squish the two edges together to cover the orange foam. Glue will squish out and you will probably burn the snot out of your fingers a few times, but it works.  You will also have some glue showing on the outside.  When mine dried I just cut around the edge with scissors to get rid of the leftover glue.
october 009
Where you had the rectangle between the circles you should have a small loop.  Fill it with glue from both ends (use plenty of glue).
october 011
Then, stick your clip through the loop.  You will need to squish the glue from all angles so that your ears stand up straight. 
october 012
Next, time for the bow.  I used THIS tutorial for the smaller bow.  First I made the bow the same size as the bow time instructions.  THEN I made it bigger (I could not help myself).  For the bigger bow I cut my fabric 4’X15’.  I glued the clip to the bottom of the bow---NOT THE BACK. 
october 016
I put Emersyn’s hair into pigtails and then clipped the ears right in front of the ponies and clipped the bow in front.  These pictures were of the small bow---I wanted more bow:)  Notice all of the toys all over my floor????  THIS TOOK ME A LONG TIME TO FIGURE OUT---Emersyn was on her own for WAY too long:)
october 017october 020
NEXT PROBLEM….my kid doesn’t have too much hair.  The ears worked GREAT, but the bow was flopping forward.  GRRRR!!!!  Not cool after my bow making marathon!!  SOOO I came up with ONE more solution.
october 021   
VELCRO!!!  What cannot be fixed with Velcro??? Marriage problems, and diaper rash….THAT IS IT!!!  Everything else is helped with the magical stuff.  Anywhooo….I put Velcro on the front of the ears and on the back of the bow (this is the cooler bigger bow).
october 027
NOW….I can clip on the ears, clip on the bow, AND THEN….Velcro the bow to the ears for stability.  WHEWWW!!  Who knew the ears would be the trickiest part of this darn costume…I should have bought the ugly slutty pirate costume that she found instead!! ;)
BUT…she is just such a darn cute little Minnie!!!!
october 024

***check out previous posts for the Minnie Top and Minnie Skirt.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

She looks ADORABLE!!! Great work on the costume. :)