Saturday, June 26, 2010

Snazzy Towels




I am still trying to get in a patriotic American mood....so I thought I would snazz up some ugly towels I bought for the 4th.  Here they are.....
I am not sure why I thought I NEEDED these towels from the dollar store.  Am I the only one who buys things from the Dollar Store only to get home and think...What the heck was I thinking???  I think I see the dollar price tag and forget to look at the ACTUAL item.  Then I get it home....feeling all proud of the good deal...and then realize I do not actually NEED 5 mini herb pots or 7 bags of decorative rocks.  AND my daugther for sure does not need ANOTHER tiara or coloring book, BUT THEY ARE ONLY A DOLLAR!!!  ANYWAY...that is what happened with these towels.  I should have just paid an EXTRA dollar and gotten some ACTUALLY cute towels from Target, but..hey cheapness prevailed again.
I started with these not very cute towels and a blue starred bandana (a dollar at WalMart). 
I cute my bandana into 1.5 inch strips.  6 strips for 2 towels.  I left the seams on the sides because I didn't really care and was in a hurry---but I think it would work better to cute the borer off and only use the stars---personal opinion.

I sewed a ruffling seam down the middle of the blue strip and then sewed the strips onto the towel.  I just left the edges raw because I like the frayed look.  I did do something a little different than my normal ruffles. I pinned my ruffle onto the towel and then sewed 2 lines---each 1/4 inch away from the ruffling seam.  I hate sewing over the basting stitch and THEN trying to remove the thread AFTER.  So I made two lines--one on each side of the middle basting stitch.  THEN I could just pull the basting stitch out in one shot.   Worked like a champ!!!
Much better than that boring old before shot.

Too bad this is where my towels usually reside---if not on the floor below the stove---SIGH!!!  ♥


2 comments:

janimal said...

I think they turned out really really cute!
(and yes, I do the same thing at the dollar store.)

I have a package for you from my recnt giveaway, but I need your address. Please email me!
jandayatl at yahoo dot com.

Rosie said...

Those are cute Jess. I wish we lived closer and we could "craft" togehter..*sigh* When you moving here?