Friday, April 16, 2010

Perkin's Family Fabric Wreath

I have been dreaming about making a fabric wreath ever since I saw THIS over on P.S. i quilt.  I could not make myself pay for expensive pre-cuts for a NON-quilting project, so my wreath dream never came to life.  THEN I decided I wanted a Springy/Summery wreath for my door and I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone. 
This is what I did...
I used a metal wreath with 4 rings (just like the one in the other tutorial).  I also used 9 fat quarters (3 of each fabric). I bought a plain white wooden P and the wooden summer cutouts (already painted) at Michaels (only like 59 cents apiece).   
I used fat quarters because they were on sale for .99 cents at JoAnns, but I think it would work really well if you bought a third of a yard of 3 fabrics.  I will have to try those measurements out though----I am thinking a red, white and blue 4th of July wreath is in my near future. 

ANYWAY.... I ironed my fat quarters and stacked them in stacks of four.  Then I folded them (all 4) in half.  Then using my rotary cutter I straighted up the edges and then cut them into 1 1/2 inch by 5 1/2 pieces.  If you used 1/3 yard cuts I think you could cut 6 inch pieces (right???).
I did not take any pictures because the other tutorial explains really well.  BUT the gist is....you fold each piece in half (hot dog style) and then tie a half knot around the wreath frame (then repeat about a million times).  I covered all 4 layers of the wreath because I wanted it fuller.

Then I spray painted my letter (LOVE SPRAY PAINT BY THE WAY).  Next I drilled two little holes in my P.  I REPEAT---I drilled holes---all by myself---with the drill!!!  I know some ladies are super tool friendly (Sarah Palin), but this was my first drilling experience.  Actually my hubs called me Sarah Palin when he explained how to drill and then watched me do it, but the drilling was ALL ME!!!:)
Anyway....I then used wire to attach the P to the wire frame of the wreath.  THEN I used my handy dandy glue gun and glued the summery wooden cutouts onto my P. 
The next step was to hang it on the INSIDE of my door so that I did not have to go outside in my PJ's and admire it for about 20 minutes (that part is optional though!!!!).

No comments: