Saturday, April 24, 2010

homemade Elmo magnet MANIA!!!

I have been noticing homemade chalk-boards on blogs all over the place for a while now, but when I found PINK chalkboard paint at CraftWarehouse I KNEW I HAD to try it.  I also saw someone use a cookie sheet as a way for playing with magnets and KNEW Emersyn needed some Elmo magnets.  This is by far my favorite creation to date.  Mostly because from the SECOND I handed it off to Emersyn she was in love!!!
This is what I did...
First I started with this:
an old cookie sheet, E6000 glue, Mod Podge, chalkboard paint and brush, magnet strips, cardboard, and stickers. 
I first painted my cookie sheet with the chalkboard paint.  It took 3 or 4 coats to REALLY cover it.  I ALSO really really had to let it dry well between coats--I only made that mistake once:)
In between coats of pink paint I really got to work on the magnets.  First I traced the little round stickers onto my cardboard.  I used thin cardboard that came from inside of a fat quarter--It was about the thickness of cereal box cardboard.  Then I cut out the circles and glued the stickers on with a thin coat of Mod  Podge.  My stickers were used ( I peeled them off of Em's highchair--peanutbutter and all) so I glued them on really well and then painted a coat on the top AND on the bottom  because I wanted the magnets to be as thick and as strong as possible.
Once the first layer was basically dried, I REALLY caked on the Mod Podge because I wanted these to be Kid Proof!!!
I decided to throw in a few bigger stickers too---just to spice things up a bit.  I was too lazy to cut out the whole shape, so I just put the stickers ALL on a sheet of cardboard.
Then I cut around the outline---not very neatly:)

Then I ModPodged the heck out of them--just like the others.  Then I cut the magnet strip into pieces and glued them onto the back with the E-6000.  One thing I would change---I would put TONS of glue on the whole back of the sticker and then put the magnet in the middle.  I just put a dab of glue on the back and Em ripped ALL of the magnets off while I was in the shower--BUMMER!!! 
Then when the paint is dry--over night--you have to color all over it with chalk to activate the chalk paint.  Then erase it and pass it over quick to your favorite artist.  Right now ours is an all day toy, but the idea was for a car toy.  I think this will work great in the wagon on long walks or in the car or at church (if it was smaller).

THEY WILL LOVE IT!!!!!  Not as much as YOU love THEM----but close:) ♥

2 comments:

Andersen said...

What a great idea! I might have to try this. I need a good craft project to keep my mind off of my growing belly.

Unknown said...

So fun! Who doesn't love Elmo?