Saturday, June 4, 2011

Good Reads

It has been OVER a month since I read anything, but I am planning on getting some MAJOR book time while we are sitting in the hospital this next week.  I am prepared with a little bit of HUNGER GAMES.  Yes I am the only person in the world who has not read them yet.  Here are the books that I read.....who even knows when.  Let's see what I remember...
 First there was Journey To Riverbend by Henry McLaughlin.  This was Christian Lit/Western.  The main gist is that the main character comes to a small town to carry out the dying wish of a young man he had met. He meets an ex-prostitute who has turned her life around.  Then there is a kidnapping, a posse, an attempted rape,  some gun fights, and lots of drama.  This was a pretty good book.  At times it was a little TOO preachy for me.  I am all for morals, but I don't need to be hit over the head all the time with them.  Overall it was a good read though.  Who can you resist a good prostitute story=) 
Next, The Linen Queen by Patricia Falvey.  I was not sure I was going to make it through this one.  The beginning was a bit slow.  I stuck it out though and this one was pretty good.  This book takes place in Northern Ireland (sigh).  Oh how I wish I could go check it out there.  It seems like an amazingly beautiful landscape.  Anyway...Sheila is a POOR girl who works in a linen factory.  She lives with an abusive uncle, crazy aunt, bi-polar mother, and adopted refugee child (escaped from war and a brothel).  Intrigued so far???  She participates in the pageant for LINEN QUEEN and wins the title and cash.  She is determined to run away from home with her winnings, but sadly for her there is a war on (WWII) and she cannot leave the country.  She is once again stuck in her horrible life.   Then a group of American soldiers are posted in her town.  There is war, love, death, pregnancy, mental disorders...you name it.  The only warning I  have about this book....Irish language.  Although the swear words are spelled a little different, they are still there.  If you are not into that...then this is not a book for you.  

 Then there was Slay It With Flowers by Kate Collins.  This is the 2nd book in the Flower Shop Mysteries.  My library does not carry the first book (but does carry the next 10 or so), so I started with number 2.  It doesn't really seem to matter...each one is a story on its own anyway.  This book is about Abby, a law school dropout turned flower shop owner.  She is helping to plan her cousin's wedding, but ends up trying to find a missing groomsmen and THEN solve a murder.  This is a silly mystery book....think Janet Evanovich.  If you are a Stephanie Plum fan, this is SORTA like that (but not quite up to the same level).  If you subtract the OVER THE TOP funny and the tad bit of dirty from the Staphanie Plum books, you get this book (there is even an ex-cop love interest).  Still good, but not sure I would read 16 in a row (mostly because there is no Ranger).  I will probaby at least give number 3 a shot.


This next book is a kid's book, but I loved it so much I thought I would share.  It is Miss Lina's Ballerinas by Grace Maccorone.  If you have a little girl, this book is perfect.  It has all the good stuff....ballerinas, rhyming, counting, and a lesson about accepting others.  Oh and it is kinda funny too.  You see there are 8 little ballerinas Christina, Justina, Edwina, Betina, Sabrina, Katrina, Marina, and Nina (ha ha) who dance it 2 lines of 4. 
 They dance all over town and are a perfect set (2 rows of 4).  BUT then Regina joins the group and all is a mess.  No more rows of 4. 
What do they do now????  Miss Lina explains how great 3 rows of 3 can be.   AH HA!!!  All is well with Miss Lina's Ballerinas.  It is so cute and sweet.  I have renewed it 3 times and must now take it back to the library...not for Emersyn, but mostly just because if I have to read books for HOURS each day to a picky 3 year old I MIGHT AS WELL ENJOY IT!!!

Happy Reading Ya'll!!!

No comments: